Tuesday, June 16, 2015

Day 3 of Minimalist Living: Donating with Purpose



Day 2 was quite unproductive, but today seems to be more productive in nature. Day 3, I have been setting up places that will take specific items as donations. I do not want to just take a large amount of stuff to a thrift store because you do not know if they will sell them and who they will go to eventually. I figure that a lot of the items that I own could go directly to non-profit organizations for their use. The first place that I contacted was Susquehanna Service Dogs. I will be donating office supplies, newspapers, and old towels to them. I also have old magazines and books to donate to some other locations. I was thinking about different elderly communities and shelters for my magazines, books, and/or board games.

I realize that some of these items might have a little bit of value, but I would rather donate them to a cause I believe in than a thrift store that I do not know where/who the profits benefit. (FYI, I am not a fan of Goodwill, but I strongly suggest the Salvation Army. My sister worked at one of their camps and I can say from experience that I have seen where there money is going.)

That being said, there are a lot of other items that need to be sorted through. I have a lot of unsealed makeup that I want to offer to the women's shelter. I had a bit of a couponing hoarding problem so I am going to donate these products and hopefully someone will benefit from them.

I feel like this type of purging/donating is cleansing in a deeper way than the trendy "just drop it off at a thrift store." I feel like I am serving a purpose and that I am in control of my life. I hope to continue this after "the life purge" through couponing and volunteer work. I know that I can help in some way or another.

After work, I plan to go through my clothing that is clean and put them away while sorting them between donation/trash/keep. Hopefully, I will be able to weed a lot of clothing out of my collection. I would like a very streamline wardrobe.



No comments:

Post a Comment